Today is April 16, 2021 /
The First Hebrew Congregation of Peekskill was organized by a minyan in 1896 which first met in a loft above the Peekskill City Laundry at 110 South Division Street (when dues were 15 cents a week). As a majority of these members were of German origin, meeting minutes were recorded in German. By 1903 there were 25 member families and fundraising began to purchase a plot of land along Main Street where the original synagogue building still stands. It is a pretty wooden building in a Gothic style first used for prayer services in 1904 (and the first wedding was also held that year… Mr. Louis Keller and Miss Hanna Weiss). The first English language records were taken in 1908 and had a sprinkling of German and Yiddish words.
Our “new”, mid-Century synagogue center was built in 1957 with facilities which have been continually upgraded over the years.
Our Lil’ Sprouts Early Learning Center is a shining example of what a quality day care can look like.
The gym is a multi-purpose room for everything from parties to Bingo, Volleyball and Basketball.
Our sanctuary has been updated several times but still maintains the mid-century stained-glass windows our parents and grandparents worked so hard to fundraise to complete. They are a reminder of our past as a new generation makes First Hebrew their Jewish communal home.